How to use New features of Photoshop Sky Replacement (August 2021) and free sky packs from Adobe

New Features in Photoshop Sky replacement.

Check out the short video above, I’ll add the images for the written text soon.

Photoshop just got an update and there’s some updates to the sky replacement. Let’s have a look and see what’s new.

Hey, cafe crew, Colin Smith here from photoshopcafe.com. And one of the new things here with sky replacement, we can bring multiple skies in, plus we’ve got a bunch of free skies. Let me show you how to do it right now.

All right. So here’s a shot that I did with my drone. I want to replace the sky with something interesting. So we go up under edit, sky replacement. Now, this feature is not new, but there’s new features within this feature. So when we go in here, it’s going to replace the sky. And I’ve got other videos I’ll point to where I go very in-depth into this and break this down for you. But right now, what I’m going to do is show you what’s new.

So we go up under the sky and you’re going to see this little option here where we can click. And this brings up the options. Go to the gear icon and you’re going to see we have the option to import sky from images or from sky presets. So this is brand new. It enables us to bring bulk skies in at once. But what we’re going to do is we’re going to go down and get more skies. So here’s a bunch of skies that Adobe is giving us. So it’s going to take us to Adobe Creative Cloud, and then we’re going to see some different collections here.

Alright. So let’s download the sunsets. Spectacular. Let’s download those. Night skies, blue skies, storms. And these are the artists that created it.

And by the way, if you want some of mine, just head over to photoshopcafe.com/vault and you can download my sky pack. Now, if you’re already signed up, you don’t need to do that. Just look in a previous newsletter, you’ll see a link right there where you can download them.

Now you’ve downloaded them. Let’s bring them into sky replacement. So we’re just going to click once again on the little arrow, choose the gear, and this time import skies, and we’re going to go from sky presets. So we can see here’s our skies here. These are put into collections, and I’m just going to hit the shift key. So I selected the first, shift key, select the last one, and I’m going to choose open. We’ve got the night sky. We see we’ve got a few night skies there. We’ll use one of these on this particular photo in a moment.

And we can look at things like Auroras. If I click on that, we can see that going into our image here. But let’s do a quick replacement for a night sky because I just want to show you a couple of features.

So here’s one. When we click on it, notice that this is a vertical photo, and we’re seeing a little bit of that tint in there. While this panel is open, we can still drag down to reposition the sky. And then we have other options. Once again, I’ll point to some of my other videos where we go into all these options in-depth, and I’m just going to click okay.

So why don’t we create a nice reflection from the starfield, hold down Alt or Option and drag out of that group until you see the blue line release, and now what we’ve done is we’ve created a copy of that. Now I want to flip this, before you do, hold down the shift key and click on that chain link and that will unlink it. Otherwise, any change I make to this is going to affect all the linked layers, so I don’t want that to happen. Control T for free transform, right-click and let’s choose to flip vertically.

And I’m going to slide this into position. Just drag it down a little bit, and I’m holding the shift key to keep that in position.

Notice we can’t see the reflection, and that’s because of the mask. So let’s select the mask now, and we’re just going to invert it. Control or Command I will invert the mask, now we can see our starfield underneath. And if we want to reposition it, just drag it down until we get a nice mirror image.

Now to make it match with the photo, let’s just use a blend mode. We’re just going to go choose where it says normal. And I feel like we can use darken or multiply on one of these. I think darken is going to work nicely because what it does, notice that it’s mastered out of these very, very dark areas, so I don’t have to go in and mask it out. All I’ve going to do really is now just play with the opacity. So let’s take the opacity down a little bit.

So now we can see a little bit of reflection happening in the water.

One last thing I want to do is I want to just kind of brighten this up a little bit. So let’s create a curves adjustment, and under properties let’s grab the mid to dark tones. Let’s bring them up, make them a little bit brighter. Obviously, it’s too bright, but that’s okay. What we’re going to do is invert that mask. So just select that mask and then in properties, click invert or hit Control or Command I. Almost done. Grab a brush, set the foreground colour to white, paint over the area you want to keep or just brighten up a little bit.

So it brings a little bit of attention to the centre of our photo.

So anyway, do you find this useful? Then let me know in the comments underneath. Also, do you guys like sky replacement or not? Personally, I love it, but I’d love to know what you think. And by the way, if you’re new, welcome to Photoshop Cafe, consider subscribing, turn on notifications and you won’t miss any of my tutorials.

And so if you got any value out of this, do me a favour, hit that like button. It helps us with the YouTube algorithm. And anyway, guys, until next time, I’ll see you at the cafe.

 

The post How to use New features of Photoshop Sky Replacement (August 2021) and free sky packs from Adobe appeared first on PhotoshopCAFE.